How do recycled plastic building bricks work?
Try 3 issues of BBC Science Focus Magazine for £5!
Technology start-up ByFusion is currently developing machinery that can transform any waste plastic into building blocks.
1. Plastic rubbish is put into the machine
2. The rubbish moves along into a shredder that cuts the plastic into smaller pieces.
3. The plastic is then mixed with superheated water and compressed
4. The bricks emerge from the machine and can be used for building
5. The bricks can be fixed together with metal rods to create structures, before being coated with chicken wire and mortar
6. Any plastics can be used
Subscribe to BBC Focus magazine for fascinating new Q&As every month and follow @sciencefocusQA on Twitter for your daily dose of fun science facts.
- Try your first 6 issues for just £9.99 when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in the worlds of science and technology.