Science Focus - the home of BBC Science Focus Magazine
If you ate your Christmas chocs too quickly and swallowed some foil, would you die? © Getty Images

If you ate your Christmas chocs too quickly and swallowed some foil, would you die?

Subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine and get 6 issues for just £9.99

Couldn’t even wait to rip off the shiny wrapping and consume the chocolatey goodness beneath? It’ll be ok, hopefully it will ‘pass’.

The aluminium foil that’s used to wrap chocolates will react with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach to some extent, but this isn’t a serious cause for concern. Even if all the aluminium in a typical chocolate wrapper spent long enough in the stomach to completely react, it would still give you less than 2 per cent of the acute toxic dose of aluminium chloride. That’s the worst-case scenario, though – scrunched balls of foil typically pass all the way through, largely undigested.

Advertisement

Read more:

Advertisement

Authors

luis villazon
Luis VillazonQ&A expert

Luis trained as a zoologist, but now works as a science and technology educator. In his spare time he builds 3D-printed robots, in the hope that he will be spared when the revolution inevitably comes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sponsored content