New issue: First Contact
An alien signal is discovered. What happens next? Here, we find out what the protocol says, and whether we will actually be able to decipher any signals from ET.
How evolution created vampires
Count Dracula, Lestat de Lioncourt, Laszlo... all these vampires have got oodles of charisma, natty dress sense and an intriguing backstory. But we reckon the animal kingdom can do better, so we take a closer look at some of the animals that quaff blood to survive. Cheers!
Men are losing friends and struggling to make new ones - and missing out on powerful health benefits in the process. So, what's going on?
DART: The spacecraft that NASA smashed into an asteroid
NASA's DART spacecraft made impact with its asteroid target, Dimorphos, on 27 September 2022. Dr Tim Gregory tells us about this first-of-its-kind mission.
- Fungi explained: Everything you need to know about these decomposing, fermenting, edible, toxic, carbon-sequestering, disease-causing, disease-curing, pollutant-busting, mind-bending, rain-generating, zombie-making marvels.
- Could smartwatches and fitness trackers change medicine?
- Getting to the heart of dark matter: We've mapped it, but the exact nature of dark matter remains elusive. And for most astronomers, that's okay.
Issue 383 on sale 12 October 2022
Subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine
Don’t forget that BBC Science Focus is also available on all major digital platforms. We have versions for Android, Kindle Fire and Kindle e-reader, as well as an iOS app for the iPad and iPhone.
- Try your first 6 issues for just £9.99 when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in the worlds of science and technology.