Asked by: Richard Powell, Leatherhead
We can’t be sure, although the oldest known burial took place about 130,000 years ago. Burying the dead is perhaps the earliest form of religious practice and suggests people were concerned about what happens after death. There’s evidence that Neanderthals buried their dead along with tools and bones.
- Could the Black Death happen again?
- What is the current death/birth rate ratio in the world per year?
Subscription offers you will love!
- Spread the cost and pay just £3.50 per issue when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Alternatively, lock in for longer and pay just £37.99 per year, saving 51%!
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.