Why ASMR gives you tingles – Emma WhispersRed
YouTuber Emma WhispersRed ASMR explains why people find it so soothing, and why she wants to get the phenomenon officially recognised as a form of therapy.
In this of the Science Focus Podcast we look at the growing phenomenon of ASMR. Over the last five or six years, millions of people have logged onto YouTube to watch ASMR – or Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response – videos.
For the uninitiated, the soft whispering voices, gentle tapping and rustling sounds may seem a little odd. But for ASMR enthusiasts the videos can trigger feelings of security and relaxation that can be difficult to explain to those who don’t experience them.
YouTuber Emma WhispersRed is one of the most well known ASMR vloggers on the internet. BBC Focus Magazine’s commissioning editor Jason Goodyer speaks to her about how she got into making the videos, why she thinks people find them so soothing, and why she wants to get the phenomenon officially recognised as a form of therapy.
If you like what you hear, then please rate, review, and share with anybody you think might enjoy our podcast. You can also subscribe and leave us a review at your favourite podcast apps, like iTunes, Acast, Stitcher, and many more.Also, if there is anybody you’d like us to speak to, or a topic you want us to cover, then let us know on Twitter at @sciencefocus.Listen to more Science Focus Podcast episodes:
- Should we be worried about sex robots? – Kate Devlin
- Inside the mind of a comedian – Robin Ince
- How to get a good night’s sleep – Alice Gregory
- What psychology can tell us about suicide – Jesse Bering
- Inequality in science - Angela Saini
- Everything that’s wrong with the human body - Nathan Lents
Follow Science Focus on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Flipboard
- Try your first 6 issues for just £9.99 when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in the worlds of science and technology.