When you look up into the night sky, do you ever wonder if we’re alone here on Earth? Could it be that we are the only intelligent life forms orbiting one of the 100 billion stars of our Milky Way? With numbers so vast, it seems impossible to believe that there are no other beings (little and green or not) going through the same experiences as we are on Earth. But as of yet, we know nothing.
In this Science Focus Podcast we talk Mike Garret, the Director of Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, about the different methods of searching for extraterrestrial life, why we’ve yet to find anything, what it means if we discover we are not the only ones sending messages to the stars.
You can hear him talk at this year’s DotTalks at bluedot festival, which starts 19 July 2018.
Listen to more Science Focus Podcast episodes:
- Belka and Strelka - Russia's canine cosmonauts
- How to keep yourself busy in space
- Project Discovery and its search for exoplanets
- Remembering Professor Stephen Hawking
- The future of humanity with Michio Kaku
- Building a base on the Moon, and crafting believable sci-fi