What is your favourite animal? If you know anything about the mantis shrimp, it might well be your top pick. Dwelling in shallow tropical waters, these mysterious predators not only wield one of the strongest punches in nature, but also a one-of-a-kind visual system that scientists are only just making sense of.
One of these scientists is Dr Martin How from the University of Bristol. He joins us on this week’s episode of the Science Focus Podcast to reveal more about mantis shrimp and their remarkable abilities.
Let us know what you think of the episode with a review or a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
- Subscribe to the Science Focus Podcast on these services: Acast, iTunes, Stitcher, RSS, Overcast
- Read the full transcription of this episode [this will open in a new window]
Listen to more episodes of the Science Focus Podcast:
- Everything you ever wanted to know about… the deep sea with Dr Jon Copley
- Andrew Hunter Murray and Dan Schreiber: Is there really no such thing as a fish?
- Brad Lister: Are we facing an insect apocalypse?
- Neil Gemmell: The genetic hunt for the Loch Ness Monster
- Neil Shubin: How do big changes in evolution happen?
- Mark Lynas: Could leaving nature to its own devices be the key to meeting the UK’s climate goals?