Perseids: 2021's most active meteor shower in pictures
The best images of this year's annual meteor shower from around the world.
The Perseid meteor shower occurs every year from 23 July through to 24 August, when the Earth passes through the dust of the 109P/Swift-Tuttle comet. Dust particles hit the Earth's upper atmosphere and burn, which can be seen down on the ground as a meteor shower.
The shower peaked on the 12-13 August, but you still may be able to see some action over the next few nights, providing the sky is clear.
The results are a spectacular sight, so we've put together an image gallery of some of the best images of the light show from around the world.
Kuklice, Republic Of North Macedonia
Pamir Plateau, China
Spruce Knob, USA
Check out some of our other great images:
- Wally Funk finally achieves her spaceflight dream thanks to Blue Origin
- 23 astonishing images in science July 2021
- The best images of the 2021 solar eclipse from around the World
Negev desert, Israel
Piano Visitone, Italy
Porma Lake, Spain
James Cutmore is the picture editor of BBC Science Focus Magazine, researching striking images for the magazine and on the website. He is also has a passion for taking his own photographs
- Try your first 6 issues for just £9.99 when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in the worlds of science and technology.