How much difference can a small change make? When it comes to changing habits, convincing someone to do something or affecting the behaviour of people without them even knowing about it, quite a lot, as we have seen with the recent Facebook scandal, where data firm Cambridge Analytica used personal data influence the way people vote.
In this week’s Science Focus Podcast, BBC Focus commissioning editor Jason Goodyer speaks to David Halpern, Chief Executive of The Behavioural Insights Team, about nudge theory – a psychological tool used in behavioural science to subtly influence people’s decisions.
Listen to more podcasts:
- Project Discovery and its search for exoplanets
- Remembering Professor Stephen Hawking
- Exploding Head Syndrome
- Adventures in brain enhancement
- The future of humanity with Michio Kaku
- How emotions are made
- The London Fatberg + Why you should break up with your phone