Top 10: Countries that drink the most beer
The UK doesn't even rank in the top 10.
UK pub-goers will have to drink 124 pints of beer each to make up for losses due to coronavirus lockdowns, according to a report by finance experts Company Debt. As it happens, that's almost exactly the amount of beer that people in the UK drank per capita in 2019.
At least, that’s what the Kirin Beer University Report found. Japanese beer company Kirin has tracked global consumption since 1975, drawing its data from brewers’ associations and industry statistics around the world.
You'd think, surely, that that would make us the biggest beer drinkers in the world. But in fact, we're only at number 23. Read on for the top 10.
81.4 litres per capita
85.5 litres per capita
88.8 litres per capita
92.9 litres per capita
95.5 litres per capita
97.7 litres per capita
99.0 litres per capita
100.3 litres per capita
107.8 litres per capita
1. Czech Republic
188.6 litres per capita
Source: Kirin Beer University Report
- The top 10 happiest countries in the world
- Top 10: What are the largest stadiums in the world?
- Top 10: What are the fastest rollercoasters?
- Top 10: What are the longest lasting landfill items?
To submit your questions email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (don’t forget to include your name and location)
- Try your first 6 issues for just £9.99 when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in the worlds of science and technology.