Sir David Spiegelhalter is a statistician and Professor of the Public Understanding of Risk in the Statistical Laboratory at the University of Cambridge. He has made it his mission to expose those who misuse statistics, and to teach the general public how to more accurately interpret the data, numbers and risks being reported to them.
In this episode of the Science Focus Podcast he speaks to BBC Focus’ commissioning editor, Jason Goodyer, about the pseudoscience behind Blue Monday, the power of numbers, and how to spot a dodgy stat.
Love it or hate it, please rate, review, and share with anybody you think might enjoy our podcast. You can also subscribe and leave us a review at your favourite podcast apps, like iTunes, Acast, Stitcher, and many more.
Also, if there is anybody you’d like us to speak to, or a topic you want us to cover, then let us know on Twitter at @sciencefocus.
Listen to more Science Focus Podcast episodes:
- Finding the fun in science – Dara Ó Briain
- This is how to invent everything – Ryan North
- Why aren’t there more women in science?
- Why AI is not the enemy – Jim Al-Khalili
- What’s the deal with algorithms? – Hannah Fry
- The neuroscience of happiness – Dean Burnett