Hannah Fry: What's the deal with algorithms?
Algorithms are everywhere, and in this Science Focus Podcast we talk to mathematician Hannah Fry, who tells us all about the good, the bad and the downright ugly of the algorithms that surround us.
Algorithms are everywhere. They can make our lives easier, by curating our Twitter feeds and Netflix suggestions. But they can also be bad. They lack empathy and we can become too reliant on their logical abilities, putting ourselves and others at risk.
Mathematician Hannah Fry has written a brilliant new book, Hello World, which takes us on a tour of the good, the bad and the downright ugly of the algorithms that surround us. Here, she talks to BBC Focus production editor Alice Lipscombe-Southwell.
Listen to more Science Focus Podcast episodes:
- Changing our behaviour with virtual reality
- Transhumanism - using technology to live forever
- Nudge theory
- Adventures in brain enhancement
- The future of humanity with Michio Kaku
- The London Fatberg + Why you should break up with your phone