Anthony David: Why is there still such stigma around mental health?
Neuropsychiatrist Professor Anthony David talks about why mental health stigma exists and whether it’s getting any better.
Mental health has become a hot topic in recent years, with campaigns asking us to be kind on social media and to reach out to friends who are struggling.
It seems now more than ever, we have a better understanding of what it means when someone is struggling with their mental health, but despite this, some people feel that the stigma surrounding it stops them from getting the help they need.
Professor Anthony David is a neuropsychiatrist at University College London, whose book Into the Abyss (£14.99, Oneworld) tells the stories of patients he has treated and what their cases have taught him.
He speaks to our editorial assistant Amy Barrett about why this stigma exists and whether it’s getting any better.
Let us know what you think of the episode with a review or a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
- Subscribe to the Science Focus Podcast on these services: Acast, iTunes, Stitcher, RSS, Overcast
- Why you should subscribe to BBC Science Focus
Listen to more episodes of the Science Focus Podcast:
- Sandro Galea: What is the difference between health and medicine?
- Camilla Pang: How can science guide my life?
- Jesse Bering: What can psychology tell us about suicide?
- Caroline Criado Perez: Does data discriminate against women?
- Adam Rutherford: Can science ever be rid of racism?
- Phillippa Diedrichs: Is body positivity the answer to body image issues?
Amy is the Editorial Assistant at BBC Science Focus. Her BA degree specialised in science publishing and she has been working as a journalist since graduating in 2018. In 2020, Amy was named Editorial Assistant of the Year by the British Society of Magazine Editors. She looks after all things books, culture and media. Her interests range from natural history and wildlife, to women in STEM and accessibility tech.
- Try your first 6 issues for just £9.99 when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in the worlds of science and technology.