The incredible Sturgeon Moon 2022 in pictures
Take a look at some incredible images from around the world of the last supermoon of the year.
The interestingly-named supermoon gets its name from the Algonquin tribes of North America. They observed that August’s full Moon coincided with increased numbers of sturgeon in their rivers and lakes. In the UK it was also known as the Barley Moon, Fruit Moon, or Grain Moon.
If you missed the full Moon, or just want to see it again, then take a look at some of our favourite images from around the world in this stunning gallery.
Ancient Corinth, Greece
New York, USA
More supermoon pictures from Science Focus:
- More bang for your buck: The Buck supermoon in pictures
- Howling at the Moon: The Wolf Moon in pictures
Clevedon, United Kingdom
More great images from Science Focus:
- Peering into the Lion's den: The Nature Through the Lens Photography Competition winners
- The best images in science this week
- Putting the spotlight on dementia in a new photography competition
- More bang for your buck: the Buck Supermoon in pictures
Bristol, United Kingdom
James Cutmore is the picture editor of BBC Science Focus Magazine, researching striking images for the magazine and on the website. He is also has a passion for taking his own photographs
Subscription offers you will love!
- Spread the cost and pay just £3.50 per issue when you subscribe to BBC Science Focus Magazine.
- Alternatively, lock in for longer and pay just £37.99 per year, saving 51%!
- Risk - free offer! Cancel at any time when you subscribe via Direct Debit.
- FREE UK delivery.